Monday, December 29, 2014

Interruption #2: Custom Harley Build - Bobber / Chopper

Once in a while I decide to focus on something else. I bought this bike in August, and spent November through the following August customizing and rebuilding it. It's nice to take a break from house related work, and to learn something new!

Here's what I started with. It's a 2006 Harley Sportster 1200C.

The first step was to take the whole bike apart, down to the frame. From there I sent the frame off to get a hardtail welded on by Led Sled Customs in Ohio. I also ordered everything I'd need, including a springer front end, and build the bike back up to be sure everything would work.

Here it is after the first build, before any paint or powder coat was applied.

I enlisted the help of my buddy Schmitty for all the smaller welding jobs that needed to be done. Here's some video from the experience.

The next step was to rip it back down to the frame, and send all the parts necessary off for powder coating.

The first step in the final rebuild was to work on the wiring to make sure I could get everything working properly, and get the wires run through the frame.

I did my own custom paint job on the fender, tank, and oil bag.

From there, the full rebuild started. Here's me working on it.
 There was lots of head scratching along the way.

One of the bigger problems to solve was all the chain slap that was going on. I had a custom shoulder fabbed at a local machine shop, and bought a tensioner to hold it down. It worked out well as the shoulder bolt went into the now unused rear engine mount hole.

One of the most difficult things I ever did in my life was rebuild the new springer front end, which I had to take apart for powder coating. I had only rudimentary tools, and had to do some serious improvising.

The only original parts on this bike are the front end of the frame, the front rim, and many of the fasteners.

I had the seat custom upholstered at a local upholstery shop.

The vast majority of the parts were purchased through Low Brow Customs. They were great to work with. Led Sled Customs also provided a good about of parts too.

Here's a side by side before and after.

This was a 9 month project, and everything included it cost just shy of $16,000! A decent amount of the 9 months was waiting on others; the powder coater, and the frame welding and such for instance.

That's it. Back to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment