Sunday, March 30, 2014

The Family Bathroom Project

I've finally finished another room in the house. The upstairs hallway bathroom.

I'm going to mix this post up a bit, and put all the pics side by side: pre-remodel next to the finished result of the same part of the room. That should better show off how drastic the change is.

I'm really happy with how this turned out. All told it was around 90 hours of work, over the last few months. It cost around $3,500.

Here's how it looked before I started. At this point I had already replaced the old rotten wooden window, as well as the toilet. The floor was vinyl, and the fixtures were dated back to the 70's.
In this pic you can see I redid the trim, and tiled the floor.
Here's the old vanity area.
Here's the new, final version.

The old mirror was a huge, ugly thing. The old lights were these really bad track lights that covered the whole top of the mirror.
I had to cut open the wall and add junction boxes for the new lights I was going to add. That was some additional work that came about that I didn't plan on when I laid out everything required to redo this room. Those kinds of things always come up.
I replaced it all with two framed mirrors, and proper bath lights.

Here's the original toilet. What an ugly beast of a thing!

The original window was in pretty bad, rotten shape.
The new white vinyl window was quite the improvement.

The old makeup area was pretty meh. Lots of track lights, and a gross old countertop spread across the opening.
I had to cut open the wall and put in some proper junction boxes, as there was just wires poking out of the walls to feed these lights.
I was able to save the mirror, and reuse that. The desk is from Target.

The shower/bath was reused. It was updated at some point in the recent past, so I just cleaned it up really well, and replaced the shower head.

I replaced all the doors. The old ones were dark brown hollow core ones, and were pretty shabby.

That just leaves the insides of the closets. The smaller closet was in bad shape. The shelves were half gone, and the attic opening was blocked by a piece of plywood screwed to the wall.
I trimmed out the attic opening, added a proper plug for it, and put in some good closet organizers. This will leave space for an ironing board, vacuum, and all that kind of stuff. I used a hanger shelf for the bottom one so clothes could be hung in the closet.

The big closet was in bad shape too. The shelves were really bowed and bad looking.
I got it all sorted out with a new floor plug for the laundry chute, proper organizers with laundry shelves on the bottoms on the sides for hanging clothes. Between these two closets I added a bunch of storage space. You can't see the ones on the right side in this pic because the door is blocking it. There are 3 layers of side shelves on the right.

That's it. With this, I'm 2/3 of the way done with the house. There's one small bathroom left downstairs that I'll probably work on next.

No comments:

Post a Comment