Saturday, June 30, 2012

Painting the Exterior Brick

This update will depict how I made the very dated brick on the front of the house look modern. The only real option here was to paint it.
Step one was to determine which color I wanted to go with. I had done this back when I had gutters put on the house. I looked through the sample colors available for the gutters (which I got from the gutter contractor), and picked what looked the most appealing at the time.
 I had the gutter guys use the color I selected for the downspout that would go in front of the brick. I retrospect, the color is a little darker than I'd like. It still looks a world better than it did pre-paint, and I have received many compliments from the neighbors on the finished brick.
 Here are the paint and primer I used. Bull's Eye white primer, and exterior grade latex paint.
 The brick took about 3 gallons of primer, and about 1 1/2 gallons of paint. It was really sucking up the primer! Using white primer may not have been the best idea, considering how dark my paint was. It meant that I had to do 2 (and in some spots 3) coats of paint to properly cover the primer. That was a bit more work, but the end result looks better for the effort.
 The first thing I had to do was dig out a bunch of the dirt from next to and inside the planter by the front door. Then I had to wash the brick well. It was really dirty, and there plants clinging to it in some spots. I didn't have a power sprayer, so I used the garden hose and a thick brush intended for scrubbing floors.
Next I taped off everything that I didn't want to get paint on with painter's tape. After that, it was time to prime the bricks. This step seemed to take forever; since I wanted to be sure to cover the brick, and more importantly the mortar, completely.

I let the primer dry overnight, and then it was time to put on the paint. As I mentioned above, it took multiple coats to properly cover the white primer with such dark paint. I could have saved some effort here had I gone with dark primer.
That's it for now. You can see that just painting this brick made a world of difference to the appearance of the house.

2 comments:

  1. I’ve been your silent reader for quite some time and now I’m delighted to say that I’m inspired by your articles. You have shared very valuable information and knowledge that people should recognise. Thank you for sharing. I would love to see more updates from you.

    Airless Spray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! exterior painter

    ReplyDelete